Holliston LEED House

This is the story of a family who built the first LEED "green" house in Holliston, Massachusetts. We were trying to spend no more than it would take to build an ordinary house,and maybe even succeeded. The dust is still settling.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Window pains

Okay, so now I have a problem. I under-budgeted the window cost (by a lot, about 35%) so I have to search my already tight budget, line by line, to find the money. Sad to say, I think it will be coming out of my hardwood flooring, but some miracle may happen to recoup it after I find a few more salvage materials. Windows are so very important to energy use and the durability of the home, I can't really skimp on that—or use salvage either. Decisions, decisions, and none of them looking like happy ones. Ouch, my wallet hurts.

2 Comments:

At January 28, 2009 at 7:33 PM , Blogger Bryan said...

I just want to do a simple addition to our house. But with little time and money, I wonder how we will do it. What is your secret? And how do you find time to post on your blog?! See you soon - I hope. Lori

 
At January 28, 2009 at 8:44 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Lori, me dear, you don't spend real money to build, just "budget" money. Real money buys groceries. "Budget money" buys windows. And please, don't be like me, remember the exterior doors. There are always more than you think.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home