Holliston LEED House

This is the story of a family who built the first LEED "green" house in Holliston, Massachusetts. We were trying to spend no more than it would take to build an ordinary house,and maybe even succeeded. The dust is still settling.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

So you want to build a house in Massachusetts.

The following are the final permissions I need prior to living at the house:
1. Electrical
2. Plumbing
3. Highway department (paved driveway apron and connection to town road)
4. Board of health (potable water, proper septic)
5. Mass Department of Environmental Protection (geothermal system, acquifer protection)
6. Fire department (smoke & CO alarms)
7. Building department (general code for house, etc.)

Mrs. Hamm told me that when she and her husband built her house, they could live there while still building. Now, I need someone to tell me my stove is safe before I can live in my own home. Go figure.

4 Comments:

At July 29, 2009 at 1:10 PM , Blogger Claudia said...

Repeat after me: Missouri

 
At July 29, 2009 at 6:57 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Ay-ay-ay....

 
At July 29, 2009 at 8:09 PM , Blogger Erin said...

Oh, and PS the Chambers is not safe. We have had to switch it out. Pah.

 
At August 4, 2009 at 10:51 AM , Anonymous caorl said...

So much, I had never thought you would need soooo much permission!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home